I went to see the film Dunkirk because of my grandfather, Guy Farrer. He was one of the volunteers who went over to rescue British and French troops from the beaches. He didn’t talk about it much but he wrote an account of his experiences. This is his story…

In May 1940, Guy Farrer found himself approaching the beaches of Dunkirk in a small open boat. One of the trawlers in his convoy had just hit a mine and had “gone up in a shattering explosion”.

In the mist, it took him a little while to make out the thousands of soldiers sitting on the beach.

The task he had been given struck him as “crazy”.

“Fancy trying to evacuate a whole army from a shallow beach with the aid of paddle steamers and sailing barges!”

And things got crazier when he tried to persuade the soldiers to get on his boat.

Bethany’s grandfather Guy, pictured in Suffolk before the war

At the time of Dunkirk, Guy Farrer was 29 years old and a civilian.

He had only got involved in the evacuation operation because he was taking a course with a yacht chandler named Capt OM Watts, in Albemarle Street, London.

A keen sailor, Guy was preparing for his Yachtmaster’s certificate exam, so that he could join the Navy as an officer.

Guy’s account, including a trip to the former King George V’s barber

During the class, the telephone rang.

They were told to assemble in the City at 8pm that evening. There wasn’t time to go home, so they went to a pub.

“We laughed and joked like a bunch of rugger supporters on their way to Twickenham,” Guy wrote.

“This was the biggest adventure of our lives so far.

Guy with his wife Peggy, who packed him a pair of pyjamas for the voyage to Dunkirk

“You will laugh when I tell you this was going to be my first trip to foreign parts. People in my income bracket didn’t go abroad much in those days and… I was quite excited on that account alone.”

His wife, Peggy, my grandmother, came up from their home in Richmond to see him off. She brought him a rucksack with sweaters, chocolate – and – “you mustn’t laugh” – wrote my grandfather, a pair of pyjamas.

At Tilbury, he was assigned to a lifeboat attached to a trawler. “I don’t know how long these lifeboats have been out of commission,” an elderly Naval commander told them. “But we put them in the water at thirteen hundred this afternoon, and they are still afloat so they will probably be all right.”

Guy began to wish he hadn’t come.

A ‘motley procession of vessels’ rescued 338,226 troops over 10 days

They set off towards Dunkirk, “part of the motliest procession of vessels which had ever put to sea in time of war”.

As they approached the French coast, German aircraft appeared and a dogfight with British planes began. Bombs fell alarmingly close to their boat.

“I began to feel a little better as we neared the beaches,” Guy wrote.

But then he was faced with the challenge of trying to rescue the soldiers. After failing to persuade the corporal to come with him, he walked further along the beach until he found an officer.

British soldiers shoot rifles at German aircraft attacking rescue ships at Dunkirk

The officer was also suspicious, but eventually decided my grandfather wasn’t an enemy agent when Guy told him he liked going to the Fox pub, halfway up Richmond Hill.

Before they could get moving, there was “a deafening roar”.

Over the next few hours, the volunteers struggled to row the soldiers out to the waiting trawlers, in the heavy unwieldy lifeboats, which kept getting grounded in the shallows. They had to make the troops wade out into deeper water before they could board.

Once aboard the trawler, where “every inch of deck space” was occupied, they set off for Dover.

Guy joined the Royal Navy after volunteering to rescue British forces from Dunkirk

But their voyage was a brief one. Less than a mile from the beach, they hit a submerged wreck and became stuck. “A loud groan of dismay” went up.

They were eventually rescued from the trawler by a destroyer. There was no room for kit, so Guy had to abandon my grandmother’s carefully packed rucksack.

Back in Dover, Guy learned with relief that he was not going to be sent back to Dunkirk, as things were “hotting up” there.

He slept most of the way on the train back to London, woken from time to time by the locals, who greeted it with cheers and cups of tea.

After Dunkirk, Guy joined the Navy in 1941 and served in the Mediterranean and the Red Sea. He eventually became a Lieutenant Commander. He died in 1984 at the age of 73.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here